Construction Industry Specialist
Construction Industry Specialist is a certificate program created for those individuals wishing to increase their overall knowledge of the construction industry.
This comprehensive introductory look at the construction industry will prepare the participant for further training and educational opportunities needed in the various construction career pathways.
The Industry & Career Pathways
- Construction industry sectors
- Essential Construction Employment Skills
- Career Options and Pathways
- Resume Preparation and Interviewing Skills.
The Project Manual
The student will explore the logistics of the construction project manual and the technical and performance specifications including the usage of the Construction Specifications Institute’sMASTERFORMAT®.
Estimating and Bidding Techniques
- How contractors find projects to bid
- Material analysis
- Types of bids and how they are selected
- The creation of subcontractor bid packages
- Ethics in construction estimating
Project Team, Business Environments and Project Delivery
- The various relationships between owner, contractor and design professional
- Project delivery methods
- Construction business types
- Ethics and trade associations
- Professional societies and institutes
The design process and how to interpret these types of construction drawings:
- fire sprinkler
- Clash detection
The Construction Process
The planning and scheduling of a construction project during each phase of construction:
- Project development
- Project design
- Bidding & negotiating
- Planning and scheduling
- Project close-out Procedures
- Green building practices
The importance of maintaining project records and the various methods used to accomplish this task.
- Common construction documentation
- Daily logs
- Time cards
- Schedule of values
- Change orders
- The payment processes
- Necessary close-out documentation and procedures.
The Construction Contract
The various construction laws, contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders and how to avoiding claims and delays.
Find out more about other NEF education courses
CIS is recognized as a quality education program by ACCE, American Council for Construction Education